MFSF JÁNOŠÍKŮV DUKÁT

Wednesday 25. November 2020

The history of Palkovice

The first document about Palkovice dates from 1437. The village belonged typologically among forest villages with a big number of rustic farms typical for colonizing villages it was the property of the bishops from Olomouc. From 1437 it was an integral part of the Hukvaldy estate. The first more concrete statements about the inhabitants date from the end of the 16th century. There are records about the bailiff Paul who owned meadows, ponds, 2 mills, fields, a tavern and the Bailiff's house. Besides the Bailiff, Palkovice had about 40 more farmers with different lands. The most difficult duty was villainage, there were 34 thralls. People from Myslík used to pay by Zlatý (Golden coins) in order not to work.

The villages of the Hukvaldy estate suffered during the 30 years war. They were plundered, the cattle were killed which caused starvation. At that time Palkovice was the fifth largest village out of 29 of this estate. During the 18th century Palkovice had up to 1 205 inhabitants, 208 families, 191 houses.

There used to stand a wooden church with a steeple and two bells in the village probably from 1580, together with a cemetery. On its place the St. Moritz chapel was constructed in 1850 on the left bank of the Olešná river at the bottom of the village and it stands there up to the present day. In 1631 the present St. John Baptist church was built up in the centre with a churchyard around it. The church was made of stone and it is a very worthy architecture from the 30 years war period. During the World War 1 the two bells from the church had to be given back for war purposes. In 1928 3 new bells were bought, but they were taken away later in 1942 by the German Fascists. In 1947 a new small iron bell was fixed on the church steeple. This bell was substituted by three new ones in 1993 (Jan, Anežka, Václav), which were sainted on 11. 7. 1993. Until 1786 only priests from Místek used to say mas in Palkovice, after this the first local chaplain was appointed. The parish building dates from 1768, in front of it, there is a baroque stone cross dated from 1741, which is said to have stood in front of the Hukvaldy castle in the past. It was donated to Palkovice in 1800.

With the arrival of the first chaplain Jan Kalabis in 1786 the Palkovice school history begins. The first teacher was appointed to Palkovice as late as in 1803 and it was Filip Kestl from Frenštát. Later in 1805 a new school building (later poor-house) was established upon the cemetery but it was pulled down in 1998. For the minimum capacity another school building was built up in 1871 by the road to Kozlovice. It was opened one year later and prospered very well. To 1. 1. 1891 there were 912 men and 1041 women in the village - that is 1953 inhabitants, 1 211 of which could read and write. In 1903 they built up another building beside the original one. During 1950 - 1951 they built a superstructure on it and both buildings were linked up in one block. The school building has kept the form up to the present day.

The year 1848 was a revolutionary year. The villainage and the bailiff system were cancelled. Filip Zlý was the last bailiff. Jan Zlý had a masoned bailiff's house built in 1785 - 1790 and later even a mill on the Olešná river. The memorial tablet from this house is placed in local cinema. Both mentioned buildings stand there up to this day. The Bailiff's mill building was bought by a society Svépomocný spolek in 1910. Later in 1927 the mill race was stopped and the building was rebuilt. Since then it was called the Folk-house in which there was a pub (until 1948), a gym and a stage. The building serves at present as a house of culture. It was reconstructed in 1972 and now there is a cinema-hall for 160 people, a ceremonial hall and a library.

The oldest pub was situated at the Fojství (The Bailiff's house), approximately at the same place as today's restaurant U Kubalů). However in 1874 a new pub was built up in the centre and it was called U Kubalů. It's operating up to this day. The second pub was built up in 1874 by a farmer František Volný, and it is today's restaurant TOMIS situated at the crossroads to Metylovice. At the same time the restaurant U Kuchařů was built at the upper end of the village. The restaurant U Kociánů situated in Hůrky dated from 1926 was very popular, too. Unfortunately it burned down in 1976 and on its place a large modern recreation centre Palkovické Hůrky, Ltd. was established with the capacity of 92 beds. There are also 13 wooden cabins and chalet called Barborka. Besides 3 former pubs, there is a restaurant Pod Habešem located in the municipal office building with one large and one small hall, which are used for celebrations and social activities.

In winter people often go to the restaurant Pod sjezdovkou (under the running track). The running track ( about 400 m long) was built up in 1970 on the northern slope not far from the road to Metylovice. It is equiped with lighting (which enables evening skiing) and a machine for making artificial snow.

In 1905 the post-office was established in the village. A telephone was introduced here in 1925. Two years later the village was electrificated and also a private bus line from Metylovice to Frýdek was introduced. Later they were Frenštát - Frýdek a o rok později Myslík - Frýdek. In 1928 the SLAVIA cinema was established in the restaurant TOMIS where silent films and later in 1935 even sound-films were screened.

LOKALIZACE


Type: History
LAST MODIFY: Eliška Černochová (Beskydy-Valašsko) org. 56, 11.03.2010 v 11:49 hodin